BACK TO QUILTS

The Petoskey Bicentennial Quilt

CITE THIS QUILT

img
quilt

QUILT INDEX RECORD

12-8-916

Who documented this quilt?

Michigan Quilt Project

Where are the records for this quilt housed?

Michigan State University Museum

Michigan Quilt Project Number:

85.1167

Quilt's title:

The Petoskey Bicentennial Quilt

When was the form filled out?

6/20/1985

Quilt top made by:

Quilted by:

Name of the group that made the quilt:

Little Traverse Bay Historical Society

If you are the quilt owner, how did you acquire this quilt?

Made the quilt

Where the quilt was made, city:

Petoskey

Where the quilt was made, county:

Emmet

Where the quilt was made, state:

Michigan (MI)

Time period:

1976-1999

When was the quilt started?

1976

When was the quilt finished?

1981

Why was the quilt made?

Commemorative

Details about why the quilt was made:

Made by local quilting group for bicentennial celebration.

Quilt is presently used as:

Quiltmaker's gender:

Group

Quiltmaker's city:

Petoskey

Quiltmaker's county:

Emmet

Quiltmaker's state:

Michigan (MI)

In which kind of environment did the quiltmaker live?

How did the quilt maker learn to quilt?

When did the quiltmaker learn to quilt?

Why does/did the quilt maker make quilts?

Name(s) of group(s) the quiltmaker belongs(ed) to:

Little Traverse Bay Historcial Society group, members include: Meg Loden, Betty Munson, Carol Hinkley, Arlene Murphy, Carol Lieber, Daisy Sagafuo, Cherrie Thompson, Edith Schmidt, Doris Cox, Ann Tousain, Mary Hall, Iva Ward, Julia Macdonell, Florence Bain

This is a:

Finished quilt

How wide is the quilt?

76"

How long is the quilt?

128"

Shape of edge:

Straight

Describe the corners of the quilt:

Straight

Antique colors:

Overall color scheme:

Multicolor

Quilt's condition:

Excellent/like new

Damage:

Repairs:

What is inscribed on the quilt?

This Bicentennial quilt is presented to the Little Traverse Regional Historical Society in memory of Joan M. Treadwell 1928-1975 The beauty she saw in life and the love she gave to people was reflected in her gift in the arts.

What is the date inscribed on the quilt?

1976

Where is the inscription found on the quilt?

on back

Describe where the inscription was found:

top

Number of quilt blocks:

28

Arrangement of quilt blocks:

Straight

Spacing of quilt blocks:

Separated by plain sashing

Sashing width:

4"

What is the shape of the quilt block?

Number of borders:

1

Border description:

4"

Fabric type(s) used to make the quilt top:

Velvet

Fabric styles used in the quilt top:

Novelty technique used to make the quilt top:

Describe any unusual techniques used to make the quilt top:

Open/Dimensional work

Embellishment techniques used to make the quilt top:

Embroidery

Embellishment used:

Materials used to make the back:

Cotton or polyester blend

What color is the back of the quilt?

Number of pieces of fabric in the quilt back:

1

Describe the back:

Materials used in the quilt binding:

Fabric structure of the binding?

How is the binding made?

Edges turned in/ no separate binding

What kind of filling is used in the quilt?

No filling

Quilting techniques used:

Tied or tufted

Quilting designs used, overall motifs:

Quilting designs used, decorative motifs:

Quilting designs used, background fills:

Where did the maker get their materials?

Where did the maker find their pattern?

Related items such as diaries, obituaries, wills, household inventories, or pictures of the quiltmaker:

Michigan Quilts (1987) book, figure 184, page 119. Area quilt may travel statewide, Petoskey News-Review, February 24, 1987.

Ownership of this quilt is:

Public-Other

Quilt owner's name:

Little Traverse Bay Historical Society

Quilt owner's city:

Petoskey

Quilt owner's county:

Emmet

Quilt owner's state:

Michigan (MI)

How was this quilt acquired?

Made by owner

Tell the story of how the quilt was obtained.

Bicentennial

Access and copyright information:

Restricted

How did the quiltmaker participate in the creation of the quilt?

Made entire quilt

If the source helped design the quilt, describe their input.

Where did the quilt maker find the pattern for the quilting design on this quilt?

Describe anything about the design of the quilt that wasn't already recorded in a previous field.

Petoskey buildings and sites at 1900. Row 1: Block 1; Cannon in Pennsylvania Park, between Mitchell Street and Lake Street in Petoskey's business section of town. The cannon remains in the same location. Block completed by Margaret (Brown) Loodeen. Block 2; Old Petoskey Post Office that was located on the corner of Mitchell and Petoskey streets. Today, the Old Kent Bank is located on the site. Block completed by Mrs. Woodrow (Betty) Munson. Blocks 3; The Petrie House Hotel and Champmn's Barber Shop in lower level was located on Mitchell Street in the area of what is now the "Mighty Fine Pizza" and where the "Fryman's Shoe Store" relocated in the Brown Motor Building. Block completed by Mrs. Jack (Carol Chapman) Hinkley, who is the daughter of Mr. Chapman that owned the Barber Shop. Block 4; Old Indian Mission Church located on the road leading into the Magnus Park, overlooking Little Traverse Bay. The Church still stands in the same location and has been well maintained through the years. Block completed by Mrs. John (Arlene) Murphy. Row 2: Block 1; Arlington Hotel was located where the City Tennis Courts are today overlooking Little Traverse Bay, at the intersection of the By-pass where Bay and Lewis Streets join. Block completed by Mrs. Harry (Carol) Leiber. Block 2; Emmet County Court House that stood on the corner of Lake Street and Division Street. This was torn down and rebuilt a new City-County Building on the same site in 1965. Block completed by Mrs. Clarence (Daisy) Sigafus. Block 3; Thompson's Grocery Store that stood on the corner of Emmet Street and Washington Street. Store was owned and operated by father and son. Vinton Thompson, the son, sold the building when he retired to Hills Accounting firm and they are located there today. Block completed by Mrs. Vinton (Charabelle) Thompson, wife of Vinton. Designed by Shirley Greenwell. Block 4; Logging Sleigh, depicting an important era of the region and the State as well. Block completed by Mrs. Harry (Carol) Leiber. Row 3: Block 1; Depicting the old "Midway" that led to the Petoskey City Dock and the water front, where all the excursion boats docked. The Midway and the road changed when the By-pass was built in the early 1960s. Block completed by Mrs. William (Doris) Cox. Block 2; The old Porter Property and first school in the area. This was located on what is now US-131 South where the Inn of the Hill is today. Block completed by Mrs. Louis (Fran) Tousain. Shirley Greenwell helped design the block. Block 3; Mineral Well Park with Mitchell Street Bridge in background. This is located on Lake Street and though the buildings, well and the fish pond have been restored, the area still remains the same today. Block completed by Mrs. Clarence (Daisy) Sigafus. Shirley Greenwell helped design the block. Block 4; First "Speakers Stand" in Bay View campgrounds. This building still stands midst the beautifully developed music and cultural settlement and is very much alive and enjoyed during the summer months. Block completed by Mrs. Iva (Rapp) Ward. Shirley Greenwell helped design this block. Row 4: Block 1; United Methodist Church which was locate on the corner of Mitchell and Division until 1979. The "Virginia McCune Arts Center" is now located in the building. Block completed by Mrs. George (Mary) Hall. Shirley Greenwell helped design this block. Block 2; The Emblem for the "Bicentennial 1976". Block completed by Mrs. Julia MacDonell. Shirley Greenwell designed the block. Block 3; Indian Chief's Head. This depicts the rich Indian heritage of our area. Block completed by Mrs. Harry (Carol) Leiber. Block 4; Second High School, 1890. This was torn down and a new High School built in 1913. This school still stands and is currently used at The Middle School. The present High School is located on East Mitchell Road. Block completed by Mrs. Julia McDonell. Row 5: Block 1; City of Petoskey Emblem. Block completed by Mrs. Glenn (Florence) Bain. Shirley Greenwell designed the block. Block 2; Village of Presidents and City Mayors. Block completed by Mrs. Emil (Clara) Nasson. Shirley Greenwell designed the block. Block 3; Population growth of the City of Petoskey and Emmet County. Block completed by Mrs. Ross (Laura) Treadwell, mother of Joan M. Treadwell, who this quilt was dedicated in memory. Block was designed by Shirley Greenwell. Block 4; Emblem of Emmet County. Block completed by Mrs. Clarence (Daisy) Sigafus. Block designed by Shirley Greenwell. Row 6: Block 1; Old National Bank Building which was located on the corner of Mitchell Street and Howard Street. The new First National Bank building is located on the same site today. Block completed by Mrs. Edwina Burgess. Block 2; The "Passenger Pigeon", a colorful bird that is now extinct. Block completed by Mrs. Julia MacDonell. Block 3; The famous Ice Throne built by Stanley Kellogg in 1935 at the East Side Winter Sports Park in Petoskey. This is known to be the greatest piece of ice sculpture in the world. It consisted of over 1,300 tons of ice, 125 feet long, 100 feet deep and 75 feet high. The quenns listed hlped promote the winters sports program and the area until the early seventies. Shirley Greenwell designed the block. Block completed by Mrs. Ed (Catherine) Schwartzfisher. Block 4; Winter Sports activities at the East Side Park in Peroskey. Block completed by Mrs. Edith Fahl. Row 7: Block 1; The "Welcome Arch" was located on Lake Street near the Elk's Lodge by the Suburban Train Depot for a good many years. Block completed by Mrs. Harry (Carol) Leiber. Block 2; Old "Petoskey Brewery" building, located on the Harbor Springs-Petoskey Road, which is M-119 today, the building is still standing and other businesses have used the building since the brewery closed. Block completed by Mrs. Harry (Carol) Leiber. Block 3; West Side of Howard Street off Mitchell Street, consisting of the Old First National Bank, Fryman's Show Store, and Brock_Eckel Drug Store. Kilwin's Candy Store and Russell's Shoe Store are located there today. Block completed by Mrs. Jack (Carol Chapman) Hinkley. Block 4; Old Lockwood General Hospital was located on the corner of Lockwood and Lindell Streets in 1902. Was torn down and homes builts on site. Block completed by Mrs. C.D. (Cathy) Cole.

Copyright holder:

Michigan State University Museum

Cite this Quilt

;. The Petoskey Bicentennial Quilt. 1981. From Michigan State University Museum, Michigan Quilt Project. Published in The Quilt Index, https://quiltindex.org/view/?type=fullrec&kid=12-8-916. Accessed: 05/17/22