BACK TO QUILTS
CITE THIS QUILT
QUILT INDEX RECORD
New York Quilt Project ID #:
When was the form filled out?
Who documented this quilt?
New York Quilt Project
Where are the records for this quilt housed?
American Folk Art Museum
Ownership of this quilt is:
Quilt owner's city:
Quilt owner's state:
New York (NY)
2. How did the present owner acquire this quilt?
3. How was the quilt acquired? Who will be the next owner of this quilt?
This quilt was inherited by the present owner from her mother-in-law. The next owner of this quilt will be a family member.
4. How is the present owner related to the quiltmaker? The quiltmaker is my.....
Source of the information on this quilt:
5. What is the full name of the quiltmaker?
6. When was the quilt made?
How old was the quiltmaker at the time?
The quiltmaker was in her 50s when this quilt was made.
8. What is the birthplace of the quiltmaker?
State of quiltmaker's birth:
Country of quiltmaker's birth:
9. Where did the quiltmaker live when this quilt was made?
New York (NY)
County (where quilt was made):
Town, City or Village (where quilt was made):
Country (where the quilt was made):
11. What is the national origin of the quiltmaker's father?
The father's family was English.
What is the national origin of the quiltmaker's mother?
The mother's family was English.
What was spouse's occupation?
Real estate; insurance
15. Did the quiltmaker have children?
___If you know their names, please indicate.
The quiltmaker had one child.
16. Are there any photographs of the quiltmaker?
17. Did the quiltmaker leave any letters, diaries, or written records?
18. Are there any sewing tools...?
19. Are there any other quilts by the same maker?
25. Does this quilt live with other quilts?
There are photographs of the quiltmaker. The present quilt owner has other quilts by the same maker. This quilt lives with other quilts by the same and different makers.
Do you know any other name for this pattern?
This is a:
Overall color scheme:
Describe any colors not included in the other color fields:
Side by side; Other
Explain the quilt setting:
On point or rotated on 45 degrees
Border: None; Single; Double; Triple
Border Fabric; Border Corners:
The border fabric is solid and the corners are butted.
BACKING - Fabric:
BACKING - Fabric Design:
The back is seamed.
Width of Fabric:
BINDING - Self or Applied:
Hand sewn; Edges turned in/no separate binding
BATTING - Type:
BATTING - Condition:
QUILT TOP CONSTRUCTION - Piecing:
Hand Piecing; Piecing
QUILT TOP CONSTRUCTION - Applique:
Describe the techniques used to make the quilt top:
The quilt top is sewn with running stitches.
Tied or tufted
Access and copyright information:
American Folk Art Museum, all rights reserved
Cite this Quilt
Johntra, Charlott. Grandmother's Fan . 1930s. From American Folk Art Museum, New York Quilt Project. Published in The Quilt Index, https://quiltindex.org/view/?type=fullrec&kid=49-142-1803. Accessed: 12/10/23