BACK TO DOCUMENTATION PROJECTS
California Heritage Quilt Project
The California Heritage Quilt Project, a fully functioning non-profit, has started to document California’s quilts of any age and style. Information will be entered into the Quilt Index (www.quiltindex.org), an international repository, where the public has access for personal or scholarly research. We currently have board members statewide, but we still need people with a variety of skill sets to further CHQP’s efforts. For more information, contact us via the website (www.chqp.org) or email@example.com. Face Book @californiaheritagequiltproject. Spread the word!
California Heritage Quilt Project Mission
• To seek out and record the history of California quilts and their makers/owners
• To foster conservation/preservation of the California quilt heritage
• To increase public awareness & appreciation of quilts
• To encourage the art of quilt making
What has California Heritage Quilt Project (CHQP) done over the last 38 years?
1. CHQP was established in 1984, thousands of quilts were registered, many featured in the book “Ho, For California! Pioneer Women and Their Quilts” by Jean Ray Laury, first published in 1989. Records are currently archived at Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
2. In 1989, CHQP started doing Oral Histories of California quiltmakers, over 700 have been transcribed and donated to the International Quilt Museum in Lincoln, NE for safe keeping, with a copy at UC Berkley – Bancroft Library (known for its oral history projects).
3. In 1996, The Commission for the California Sesquicentennial Celebration commemorating the 150th, asked CHQP to create a tribute quilt to California history. This magnificent quilt can be seen at the California Museum on permanent exhibit. Sixty-seven applique artists across CA, designed the 10 x 10 ft quilt and over 150 select quilters helped quilt it over 2000 hours. It toured the state, from 1998-2000, where over 4 million people were able to see it. You can see it at www.californiaheritagequiltproject.com at the Kiosk we maintain at the CA Museum in Sacramento.
4. In the early 2000’s, reaching a new generation was a priority of CHQP, a children’s program was developed, and local guilds learned how they could help students “make history”. Lesson plans were produced and sold to local guilds who offered to schools for 4th grade students to learn CA history and actually hand quilt on a quilt supplied by the local guild.
Check out our website! www.chqp.org
Fundraising is in process if you’d like to donate, ask us how!
Established in 1984, CHQP is a non-profit 501 ( c ) (3) organization - all donations are tax deductible
Arlene Stevens: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rebecca Blosser: email@example.com
Records Housed: Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
Documentation Dates: 1983 (completed)
Parameters: statewide, cut-off date of 1945
Total Quilts: 3,300 (est.)
Total Documentation Days (Number of documentation days held): 32
Publication information (if any):
Laury, Jean Ray, and the California Heritage Quilt Project. Ho For California!: Pioneer Woman and Their Quilts; E.P. Dutton, New York: New York, 1990.
This book was one of the products of the The California Heritage Quilt Project's documentations.
View all records in this project